Friday, September 23, 2011

July Yoga Pose of the Month: Frog Pose


Frog Pose
Sanskrit: Mandukasana or Bhekasana
First Photo courtesy of venusrisingmagazine.com

You are literally looking like a frog in this pose. One of my favorites because it opens the hips and works your thighs, throat, chest, abdomen, groin and quads as well! Helpful for rejuvenating knee joints while providing a deep stretch to the quadriceps and psoas muscles. Not only that, but it also strengthens the muscles of the back and improves posture, improves digestion and (my favorite) helps reduce excess fat in the body especially in the thigh, hip and abdominal region. It also assists in the cure of pain in the knees, ankles, and back. I just love yoga. Each pose comes with it so many benefits. This pose is also relaxing for me. I can go inward for a bit. Love it!

Directions on how to come into the pose:
There are many ways to come at this pose. First it's helpful to warm up a bit with a few sun salutations and other yoga vinyasas to be sure your body is ready to get deep into this pose (as deep as it will go for your body that is; our anatomy is unique for each of us). You can start from your belly or from a seated position. I like to begin in a wide standing down dog pose. So just like downdog but legs are very wide. Then walk your hands forward while pointing your feet out and bending your knees. Dropping the knees to the mat. Take your knees as wide as they will go. We can have our hands either under our legs with wrists under shoulders or I like to come down onto my forearms and rest here while I play with how wide I can take my knees. The most challenging is to have feet out. To make it easier while still getting an excellent stretch, have feet come in towards the center and each other. Lower the head if that feels good or gaze forward.

Hold till you feel like your reached your edge in time. To come out press your hands into the mat or floor and bring your knees in slowly and gently. Come into child's pose and rest for a few minutes.

When not to do this pose or to modify/Contraindications:
High or low blood pressure; insomnia; migraine; knee, neck, should or lower back injuries.

~ Maggie
www.SpiritualCompassConnection.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment for me or question for my Dear Maggie Column! :)