Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Yoga Pose for July - Modified Tripod :)


Image courtesy of my son. I couldn't find this pose as I wanted to show it, so I had my Husband take a few pictures. I didn't like the way the clothes I wore portrayed the pose so my son was happy to take this photo of me this morning after my work out. Thanks handsome! :)

This pose is a preparatory pose for Headstand. Although I don't mind if I end up staying in this pose and never reaching headstand. It's that surrender I'm sure that will eventually allow me to reach the Headstand pose someday. We must always be where we are and not where we think we should be. Honor the wisdom of the body always. This pose is oh so filled with alertness. Blood rushing to the head but so good. A great inversion. And great if you just haven't gotten there for a headstand, you can still feel the benefits within this modified version.

Directions on how to come into the pose:
Come to child's pose. Allowing your hips to come back to your heels, forehead resting on the mat. Arms stretched out in front of you. Then bring your hands under your shoulders, elbows bent close to your sides. Roll onto the top of your head, your crown. Using only full pressure on your arms, lift your buttocks up in the air and with knees bent left them over your elbows. Hold here. Never press down on the head and never hold the weight in your neck. Rather use your arms and hold in the belly for extra balance. Listen to the stillness within this inversion. Come out when ready. You can also do this pose up against a wall as a great modification.

When not to do this pose or to modify/Contraindications:
If you have back or neck injury or pain. I highly recommend only doing this pose in the guidance of a yoga teacher. They are able to best see that you are in the position properly and safely. They will assist you and allow you to go further as you progress in your own perfect divine timing.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment for me or question for my Dear Maggie Column! :)